4. Final Thesis Examination Procedures
4.1 Composition of the Final Thesis Examination Committee
A master’s oral thesis examination committee will be composed of the supervisory committee, plus one member from outside the student’s academic unit (external) who has not participated in the development of the proposal or thesis.
The supervisor, after consultation with the academic unit graduate program designate, submits the “Nominees for Final Thesis External Committee Member” form to the FGS for approval. Documentation regarding rationale for the selection of the examiner may be requested by the FGS.
4.2 Distribution and Preparation for the Final Thesis Examination
At least four weeks prior to the oral thesis examination, it is the responsibility of the supervisor to:
- obtain preliminary acceptance from the supervisory committee members that the thesis is ready to be reviewed by the examination committee, and the student is ready to proceed to the final oral examination by email or using the “Preliminary Acceptance of Thesis Prior to Final Examination” form;
- inform FGS that this preliminary acceptance has been received from all the supervisory committee members, and submit to FGS the “Notice of Master’s Final Thesis Oral Examination”
- This form will provide FGS with the details of the oral examination, the type of technology to be used, and whether a proctor will be in attendance;
- inform the student that they are to complete the “Announcement of Final Thesis Oral Examination”. FGS will use this information to advertise the oral examination on the academic unit’s and the FGS websites.
- notify the examination committee and student of the examination date, time, and other arrangements necessary for the examination;
- supply the examination committee with a copy of the thesis, so that they may have adequate time to appraise the document. The committee is normally given up to 4 weeks to review the thesis and provide comments to the FGS on the thesis.
In the absence of the supervisor, the above responsibilities shall be carried out by a designate of the supervisor. The student is not required to make the arrangements for the examination.
4.3 Changing an Examination Committee
In rare circumstances, the supervisor may recommend changes to the examination committee. The FGS must be notified in writing and approve the change in membership.